Saturn Astrology Facts:
|Ruler of:||Responsibility, Discipline, Time|
|Named for:||Saturn, the Roman God of Agriculture|
|Sign of Dignity:||Capricorn & Aquarius|
|Sign of Detriment:||Cancer|
|Sign of Exaltation:||Libra|
|Sign of Fall:||Aries|
|Physical Body:||Skin, hair, teeth, bones, joints, knees, spleen|
|Changes Sign:||Every 2-3 years|
The Symbolism of Saturn
Even though the Sun holds the solar system together, Saturn keeps a watchful eye over everything. As the planet that rules over responsibility, time, and the law of cause and effect, Saturn influences how we manage, control, and maintain stability in our lives.
As the farthest planet from Earth discovered by the unaided eye, Saturn’s presence in our lives is strong.
In this planet’s orbit, there is a place for everything, and everything is in its place. The “Celestial Taskmaster,” as he is sometimes known, wouldn’t have it any other way, as his domain involves boundaries, law, and order.
Saturn often stands in as a symbol for Father Time. Beginnings and endings involve drawing boundaries and placing limitations; thus, the cycle of life and death falls under his rule.
In addition, he keeps a strict eye on the balance of life on Earth by restricting the areas where Jupiter wants to expand and manifest, thus keeping the forces and energies in our world stable.
This planet also stabilizes our lives as individuals as well and influences:
- Our sense of responsibility
- Our ability to persevere
- Our patience
- Our tendencies towards optimism, pessimism, or realism
Your Saturn Sign
Saturn steps in to oversee the tough job of watching over our “shadow sides,” also known as the parts of ourselves we repress, bottle up, or otherwise hide or avoid.
In your individual natal chart, Saturn’s placement indicates the nature of your sense of responsibility and how you handle life’s difficulties and restrictions.
- Fire signs limit impulsivity, creative expression, and pleasure through rigidity in belief systems and a strong, passionate moral compass.
- Air signs limit ease of communication, intimacy, and connection with others through slowing thought processes and tendencies towards objectivity or unconventional viewpoints.
- Earth signs limit emotions, confidence, and the ability to take risks through cautious, careful tendencies, emotional self-discipline, and a preference for tradition.
- Water signs limit independence and emotional healing through nostalgia, self-isolation, and a tendency toward holding grudges.
As you may know, a retrograde occurs when a planet appears to be moving backward. This has to do with the positioning of the Earth among other planets and their orbits.
Saturn retrograde occurs every year for a few months at a time. During this time, you may feel your responsibilities weighing heavily on you.
It’s also a time for you to make corrections and tie up some loose ends.
Saturn is quite far away from the Sun, and because of this, Saturn’s orbit lasts about 29 years. That means that approximately every 29 years, Saturn visits the zodiac sign in which it was during the time of your birth.
This is what’s known as your Saturn Return, and as the grandfather of the zodiac, Saturn, during this time, is going to provide you with opportunities to balance past karma.